Monday, April 25, 2016

School Of Rock - Cover Me Transcript

Outside the school, the bell is about to ring. Summer is talking on a phone.

Summer: School's about to start. What's your ETA?

Tomika: (on phone) Comin' in hot. In 3, 2....

Tomika comes in on a skateboard. She glides off a bench and stops to talk to Summer.

Summer: The bell's going to ring in 20 seconds.

Tomika: I'm not worried. I got the best pit crew in the business.

Summer: Aww. (She takes off Tomika's helmet, only to reveal Tomika's hair looking ugly and messed up.) Uh oh. We've got a situation.

Tomika: Don't worry about the hair. There's no time. (changing the subject) Oh boy. Do your thing.

Summer: No sweat. I got this. (Takes out a hair brush from her backpack, and starts brushing Tomika's hair.) All right.

Summer completely noticed Freddy walking by the two girls.

Summer: Oh my gosh, here comes Freddy. (She turns to look at Freddy, slides the brush on Tomika's face.) I hope he notices me.

Tomika: (turning to Summer) Of course he'll notice you.

Summer takes out a hairspray bottle from her backpack, sprays on Tomika's hair.

Tomika: You're smart, you're generous, you're great. Just act cool.

Summer: Of course.

Freddy walks over to the two girls.

Summer: (turning to Freddy) Hi, Freddy! (sprays hairspray on Freddy's face)

Freddy: (in pain) Ahh! My eyes! (runs into the hallway)

Summer: That wasn't cool, was it?

Tomika: At least he noticed you.

The bell rings, Tomika and Summer run into the hallway to go to class.



***



Opening Credits


***


In the classroom, Lawrence, while on his laptop, has a conversation.

Lawrence: Check out this new voice-changing app. It can make me sound super cool like Dr. Timewarp. (talks in a microphone) I am Dr. Timewarp, here to save lives. (clicks a button)

Laptop (voice): (breathy female voice) I am Dr. Timewarp, here to save lives.

Lawrence: Oops. I set it to supermodel instead of superhero.

Mr. Finn walks through a window, enters the classroom. As he entered, he fell over.

Mr. Finn: (gets up) Sorry, guys. Turns out they lock the doors after 8:15. (puts his satchel on the table)

Zack: Should we tell him the side door's always unlocked?

Freddy: No. This way's more fun.

Mr. Finn: Listen up, students of rock. We've been doing stuff your old teacher's way for a week. But if we're gonna be ready for Battle of the Bands, we need a new schedule. (crosses out the class schedule on the chalkboard) We're gonna cram all the boring subjects into the first half-hour of the day. Science, math, whatever. Then we're gonna spend the rest of the day on rock appreciation, the history of rock, and then take a break- (pause) and just talk about rock.

Summer: (raises her hand) Uh, Mr. Finn, maybe you're not the right person to teach us academics.
Instead, we should all be study partners. Who should be my study partner? I'll just pick the first person that comes to mind, completely randomly. Freddy? (turns to Freddy)

Freddy ignores Summer.

Freddy: Sorry, I wasn't listening. (shows Summer a magazine) Dirt bike magazine.

Lawrence: That's so cool! A bike made of dirt!

Freddy: No, the bikes ride on dirt.

Lawrence: Once again, my imagination beats reality.

Mr. Finn: Alright, everybody, gather around. Listen to this sweet riff. (plays his guitar, students watch him)

Tomika: Nice try with Freddy.

Summer: You've gotta get him to connect with me the way he does with you.

Tomika: It's easy. You just talk about skateboards and dirt bikes.

Summer: Oh, Freddy likes things on wheels.

Tomika: (scoffs) Who doesn't?

Summer: Tomika, you gotta teach me everything you know about skateriding.

Tomika: (correcting Summer) Skateboarding.

Summer: See? I'm already learning.

***

Hallway. Summer is on a skateboard.

Summer: (jumps on a skateboard) I did it! I'm awesome at this!

Tomika: That's good! Now try it on the board. (points to the skateboard, helps Summer get on)

Summer: Thank you so much for doing this, Tomeeks.

Tomika: Hey, what are best friends for?

Summer fidgets on the skateboard.

Tomika: Are you sure you don't want to send him a note like we used to do in the fourth grade? I like you. Check this box if you like me. Check this box if you don't. That box made everything crystal-clear.

Summer: (almost falls, squeals) All I need to do is look super extreme, and cute right now. Help me adjust my butt pad. (adjusts her butt pad)

Freddy and Zack walk in the hall.

Tomika: No time! He's here! Bye! (lets go of Summer's arm)

Summer was rolling on the skateboard. A janitor was cleaning the floors with the floor cleaner until he notices Summer on the skateboard.

Tomika: (yelling) Look out for the cord!

The skateboard approached the cord and tripped, causing Summer to fall off and slide across the floor.
While Summer was sliding, she passed by Freddy.

Summer: Hi, Freddy!

Freddy and Zack turrned to see if that was Summer calling Freddy's name, but there was nobody.

Freddy: Did someone just call my name?

Tomika passes the two boys.

Freddy: Hey, Tomika.

Zack: (shows his phone to Freddy) Check out this video. It's a dog eating pudding.

Freddy: And he's wearing a bowtie.

The two boys walked away. Tomika checked to see if Summer was okay. She took Summer's hand and got up.

Tomika: Are you okay?

Summer: No! He didn't even notice me!

Tomika: On the plus side, (excitedly) that was awesome!

***

School entrance - Lawrence and Zack noticed Mr. Finn pacing.

Lawrence: Are you alright, Mr. Finn?

Mr. Finn: I'm just nervous. I've been without my favorite guitar, Joan Jett for 4 months. (pauses) But my old bandmate doesn't want to sell it back to me!

Zack: No worries, Mr. Finn. My dad taught me how to negotiate. My neighbor once asked them for a cup of sugar, and we ended up with....her house.

Mr. Finn: You're my guy, Zack! (gasps) There's Joan Jett!

A guy who looked like Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz walked up to the three with the guitar. He also held a giant red arrow sign that read "Grandma's Discount Pies".

Colton: Hey, Dewey.

Lawrence: Pete Wentz from Fall Out Boy?

Colton: (turns his head) Where?

Lawrence: You!

Colton: No. I'm Colton Stubner from the band, "The Dewey Finn Experience".

Mr. Finn: You kept the name even after I quit?

Colton: Yeah, we kept the name. We didn't want to confuse our band. (holds the guitar) Want your guitar?

Mr. Finn reaches to get the guitar, but Colton holds his arm back.

Colton: I'll take double!

Mr. Finn: Why?

Colton: 'Cause sign spinning don't pay like it used to. And I'm also kind of a jerk.

Zack: Mr. Finn doesn't want it that bad. (walks with Mr. Finn and Lawrence)

Mr. Finn: (whispering) Yes, I do!

Zack: Trust me! This guy throws a sign for a living. He'll take the money. I'm very good at this.

Lawrence: He is. He once got me $15 to pay for my own lunch.

Zack: Deep breath!

Mr. Finn inhales.

Zack: 3, 2, 1...

Colton: (holds the guitar up) All right, all right, I'll take the original price!

Mr. Finn: Oh, thank Clapton! (snatches the guitar, hands Colton dollars) Now that I've got Joan Jett back, we're gonna crush you at Battle of the Bands!

Colton: We got a new singer, and we're gonna blow your band away!

Mr. Finn: Well, we got a killer new singer too, named- (points to the sign that Colton is holding) "Sign-ey".

Colton: You're saying that because I'm holding a sign.

Lawrence: No! He or she is totally real.

Mr. Finn: Yeah! Otherwise, why would I be willing to bet Joan Jett when we win Battle of the Bands?!

Colton: You're on! (walks away)

Mr. Finn: Please tell me one of you can sing and is cool with changing your name to "Sign-ey".

***

Classroom - Zack is talking to Lawrence's laptop.

Laptop (voice): (breathy female voice) Hello, Zack. You're so cool.

Zack: Why, thank you.

Laptop (voice): I'll bet anything you're getting into Yale.

Lawrence walks up to Zack.

Lawrence: What are you doing?

Zack: Nothing! Your laptop just came on and started acting crazy.

Lawrence: That's not how it works. You have to record your voice in the computer for it to say it back.

Zack: (laughs) Weird. (gets up from Lawrence's seat and goes back to his original seat)

Lawrence goes back to his original seat and clicks a button on his laptop.

Laptop (voice): You're cuter than Freddy and smarter than Lawren-

Zack closes the laptop as Mr. Finn walked by with the guitar. He kissed the guitar before putting it back in the guitar case. Tomika and Summer looked at each other, confused.

Mr. Finn: That's right. I just kissed a guitar and I liked it. (to the class) Listen up, guys, it is very very urgent that we find a singer who kicks butt and is cool with changing their name to "Sign-ey".

Zack looks at Mr. Finn, confused.

Mr. Finn: The point is, we need a great singer, aside from yours truly that can melt faces at Battle of the Bands. Harmony is the heart and soul of the band.

Zack: You said electric guitar is the heart and soul of the band.

Tomika: You said that about lighting, too.

Lawrence: And sweatbands.

Freddy: Guys, what's the point is that we do what's best for the band.

Zack: Yeah. Freddy's right. We're gonna need a great singer.

Mr. Finn: I actually just said that.

Lawrence: I agree with Freddy. We need someone to melt faces at Battle of the Bands.

Mr. Finn: I said melt faces. You're directly quoting me.

Freddy: It doesn't matter who said it.

Mr. Finn: It was me.

Freddy: We're having the best time of our lives in this class. And I don't want that to stop. Someone needs to step up and be our singer.

Cut to Summer smiling.

Mr. Finn: And melt faces.

***

Hallway (Lockers) - Summer and Tomika put stuff in their lockers.

Summer: I thought of a new way to get Freddy's attention.

Tomika: I'm not lending you my bike. I care about your safety. And my bike.

Summer: No, I'm gonna be the singer. I'll tease out my hair, I'll use my mom's makeup, and then I'll wear glittery outfits. Next thing you know... (sings off-key) I'm a singer!

Tomika: That really is a great idea. But the thing about being a singer is, how do I put this gently? You gotta be able to sing.

Summer: No offense, Tomiks, but do you know anything about singing?

Tomika: A little. (sings a line from Meghan Trainor's "Lips Are Movin'") I know you lie. Your lips are movin'. Tell me, do you think I'm dumb?

Summer: Why didn't you tell me you have such a beautiful voice? OMG, this is great news.

Tomika: Really? You think I should sing?

Summer: No, you should teach me how to sing.

The two girls close their lockers.

***

Tomika: Remember, it's all about breath, intonation, and control. Now, relax, and just let it flow.

Summer nods.

Summer: (singing off-key) You can buy me diamond earrings and deny! Ny, deny!

Tomika: (unimpressed) I'm not even sure how you even get that sound out of the mouth part of your body.

Tomika takes out a pitch pipe.

Tomika: This is a pitch pipe. It gives you the right note. (blows into pitch pipe) Now sing. Quick.

Summer: (singing off-key) I know you lie-

Tomika: Stop, stop.

Summer: Yeah, that pitch pipe threw me off. Something's wrong with it.

Tomika: Let's break it down. Try doing this. (singing) Moving.

Summer: (singing off-key) Moving.

Tomika: Let's break it down more.

Cut to Summer shaking her head.

Tomika: (singing) Move.

Summer: (singing off-key) Move.

Tomika: (singing) Moo.

Summer: (singing off-key) Mooo.

Tomika pinches Summer's cheeks.

Tomika: (singing) Mmm.

Summer: (singing off-key) Mmm.

Tomika: Really? Is that how I sound to you?

Summer: You know, maybe I shouldn't run into it. Give me a lead-in.

Tomika: (sings a line from Meghan Trainor's "Lips Are Movin'") You can buy me diamond earrings and deny, ny, ny. Ny, ny, ny, deny-ny.

***

Mr. Finn: (to Freddy) See, the drummer from Def Leppard has one arm. I'm not saying you should go out and lose an arm, I'm saying you should be twice as good.

Mr. Finn and Freddy overhear Tomika singing in the classroom.

Mr. Finn: Who's that?

Freddy: I don't know.

***

Tomika: (singing) I gave you bass, you gave me sweet talk. Saying how I'm your number one. But I know you lie.

***

Tomika: (singing in the classroom) Your lips are movin'. Baby, don't you know I'm done.

Mr. Finn: It's our new singer. That's who. Let's go.

Mr. Finn and Freddy go into the classroom.

***

Tomika: Why aren't you jumping in?

Summer: In my head, that's what I sound like.

Tomika: Your head is really letting you down.

Summer: (off-key) OMG! I'm tone-deaf! That's not going to impress Freddy!

Tomika: You even said that off-key.

Mr. Finn and Freddy walk into the classroom.

Mr. Finn: Wow! Whose pipes just blew my mind?

Tomika: Summer.

Summer: (nervously) Hi.

Freddy: It was you?

Tomika: She's been taking lessons.

Mr. Finn: Summer, you're our new singer. Tomorrow after the boring stuff, I want you to show the class what you've got. I'm pumped. (starts to walk out, stops) Also, we're gonna start calling you "Sign-ey". (opens the door, walks out)

Freddy: Wow, Summer.

Mr. Finn: (stops) "Sign-ey".

Mr. Finn gives Freddy a thumbs-up, holds the door.

Freddy: I'm really impressed. I can't wait to hear you sing in front of the whole class.

Freddy walks out of the classroom. Summer waves goodbye to him.

Summer: (nervously) Yay. (angrily) What am I going to do now?

Tomika: (singing) I don't know, don't have a clue. Guess I should've thought it through.


***

Summer and Tomika walk in the hallway.

Summer: It was really nice of you to tell Freddy I was a great singer. But now I have to- (angrily) be a great singer!

Tomika: I know. I was trying to help. I guess we have to come clean.

Summer: No! Didn't you see the way he looked at me? It was if I had wheels and if he was standing on me.

Tomika: That sounds so romantic and painful. What are we gonna do now?

Lawrence walks up to the girls.

Lawrence: What's shakin', ladies?

Summer: Maybe technology could help us. Lawrence! You're just the guy we wanted to see.

Lawrence: Really? No girl's ever said that to me. Doing three push-ups a morning is really paying off.

***

Classroom.

Summer: (singing off-key) Tell me, do you think I'm dumb?


Lawrence: Now, I'll play back Summer's singing, and the voice app will make her sound more like Meghan Trainor, and less like a whale giving birth to an even bigger whale.

Summer: You know, I think I'm gonna ignore that because you're helping me.

Lawrence: You said I was helping "save the world".

Summer: Yes, yes, that is right, but you know we can't talk about it.

Lawrence: Can you at least just give me a hint on what it's about? Just one word?

Tomika: Cyborg.

Lawrence: Yes, I knew it. (clicks a button)

Laptop (Summer's voice): (digitized singing) I know you're lyin'. Your lips are movin'.

Summer: I sound great.

Tomika: Yeah, you do.

Laptop (Summer's voice): (digitized low-pitched singing) Tell me, do you think... (distorted) I'm dumb..... (laptop dies)

The laptop showed a Blue Screen, electricity fizzles and pops.

Lawrence: Your voice broke my laptop! The guys at the Genius Counter are never gonna believe this.

Summer: I guess that's it. I gotta face Freddy and tell him I'm not a singer.

Freddy walks in.

Freddy: Hey, who's our new singer?

Summer: I am.

Freddy walks out.

Tomika: I don't know how you're gonna do it, but you're gonna sound amazing tomorrow.

Lawrence talks on a phone.

Lawrence: (angrily) What?! It's three days out of warranty?!

***

Classroom. Meghan Trainor's "Lips are Movin'" plays on a speaker.

Summer: (singing in Tomika's voice) You can buy me diamond earrings and deny, ny, ny. Ny, ny, ny, deny-ny! But I smell her on your collar, so goodbye-bye-bye! Bye-bye-by-y-y-y-ye!

Mr. Finn: She's crushing it.

Zack: She sounds so much different. Do girls' voices change too?

Mr. Finn: Mm-hmm.

Summer: (singing in Tomika's voice) Tell me, do you think I'm dumb? I might be young, but I ain't stupid. Talkin' round in circles with your tongue. I gave you bass, you gave me sweet talk. 

The scene pans out from the classroom and into the window

***

Outside. Tomika is singing into a microphone connected to the speaker in the classroom.

Tomika: (singing) Saying how I'm your number one. But I know you lie.

***

Summer: (singing in Tomika's voice) 'Cause your lips are movin'. Baby, don't you know I'm done. If your lips are movin'.

***

An insect buzzes loudly into Tomika's face.

Tomika: (singing) If your lips are movin'. (stops, speaking angrily) Ugh, a bee!

***

Summer: (singing in Tomika's voice) If your lips are movin', then you're lyin', lyin', lyin'. 

***

The bee was still buzzing into Tomika's face.

Tomika: (angrily) Get away from me!

***

Summer: (talking angrily in Tomika's voice) Go away! 






















No comments:

Post a Comment